1. Home
  2. Blog

May 19, 2026

Carlo Ancelotti Brings Neymar Back for World Cup Mission

Carlo Ancelotti Brings Neymar Back for World Cup Mission

Brazil finally made it official. Neymar is back.

The announcement landed inside a packed hall in Rio de Janeiro on Monday night, and the reaction said everything. Fans roared the second Carlo Ancelotti read out Neymar’s name. After nearly three years away from the national side, the country’s biggest football figure is heading to the FIFA World Cup 2026.

That alone changes the mood around Brazil.

The 34-year-old attacker had been missing since suffering a serious knee injury during a qualifier against Uruguay in 2023. Since then, questions followed him everywhere. Fitness. Sharpness. Motivation. Even his future with the national side looked uncertain at one point.

Now the picture feels completely different.

Ancelotti admitted Brazil’s staff tracked Neymar closely throughout the season before deciding to bring him back into the squad. The coach pointed to his recent run of matches with Santos and improving physical condition as key reasons behind the recall.

Neymar’s Return Changes Brazil’s Attack

The Neymar Brazil Squad announcement instantly became the biggest talking point across South American football. Few saw this coming after months of uncertainty around the forward’s condition.

Still, Brazil clearly believes experience matters when pressure rises.

Neymar enters the tournament carrying 79 international goals from 128 appearances. Those numbers still place him above every other Brazilian scorer in history. You could feel the emotion around the squad reveal because supporters know what he represents. Big night. chaos in the box and the moments that suddenly flip matches.

Brazil also arrive with serious firepower around him. Vinicius Junior, Raphinha, Gabriel Martinelli and Endrick give Ancelotti pace and directness all over the pitch. Casemiro and Bruno Guimaraes will anchor midfield while Alisson leads the goalkeeping unit.

The road ahead will not be simple though. Brazil open their FIFA World Cup 2026 campaign against Morocco before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C. Those fixtures carry even more attention.

Ancelotti sounded calm despite the growing excitement. “The World Cup will be won by the most resilient team,” he said during the ceremony.

Brazil supporters will hope Neymar and a renewed sense of grit can finally carry the team back to the top. The country has not lifted the World Cup since 2002, and that long wait still lingers heavily. Now, another journey begins.